Are you ready to feed your wanderlust by reading a selection of the best travel quotes? I love quotes because it creates a connection between all of us who love to travel. It’s something that encourages people to stop dreaming and start doing.
With all the years of traveling, visiting many different countries, exploring even more different cultures, I learned so much about the world and my understanding of these quotes changed. I now understand so much better what all those writers are talking about.
Below you’ll find a selection of my favorite travel quotes, feel free to save/share the images with friends and family on your social media. Let’s inspire people together to travel more!
Short Travel Quotes
1. “To travel is to live”
2. “Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage” — Paulo Coelho
3. “Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted”
4. “Collect moments, not things”
This travel quote is one of my favorites. While friends back home are collecting things, I own only the stuff in my backpack. For me having all the memories of my travels is worth so much more than having a huge house and fancy cars. Nobody is able to steal your memories and experiences, while in a moment you can lose everything you own.
5. “Travel because money returns and time doesn’t”
I stopped counting how many people told me ‘I wish I did the same as you are doing now, but now it’s too late’. My simple reaction is always the same ‘What kept you from going?’ And I always get the same answer: “My career! I needed to make and save money.”
For me, it was such a simple choice to make. Living my dream, exploring the world, daily adventures, and pushing boundaries is worth so much more than a career and money. So, live now, before it is too late!
6. “The biggest risk in life is not taking one”
This quote about taking risks. It is about chasing your dreams not knowing where they take you. Since I was a kid, I was always interested in other countries. Instead of reading a book, I spent hours and hours checking the maps in the Atlas. And then finally, while having a good career, I did it! I left everything behind to travel full-time, it’s the best risk I ever took.
7. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you Richer”
Famous Travel Quotes
8. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”
9. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore” – Andre Gide
10. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are” – Samuel Johnson
11. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding” – Sandra Lake
12. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing” – Helen Keller
This famous travel quote by Helen Keller really reflects on my life. I love to take a challenge and making my life my biggest adventure! Are you doing everything you can to make your life amazing?
And of course, not every day is fulfilled with adventures. There are also easy days when I read a book or relax at the pool. But these moments aren’t the moments that define who I am. They aren’t the moments that I look back at and start smiling. I probably won’t even remember these moments after a year.
For me, it’s the adventurous side of life that makes me want to live. Thinking about an upcoming adventure makes my heart beat faster. I just want to go for it! With all I have!
13. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home” – James Michener
James Michener is totally right with this famous travel quote. Traveling to another country for me is about experiencing another culture. Local food, habits, costumes, and language are so interesting.
I don’t understand people that go to an all-inclusive hotel in a destination they really want to explore. For me, a swimming pool, a buffet with the food you know from home and living within the 4 walls of a hotel room aren’t exploring a new destination.
14. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving” – Lao Tzu
Quotes About Travelling The World
15. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself” – David Mitchell
16. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller” – Ibn Battuta
This quote by Ibn Battuta is what made me realize how we have to live in the moment. Sitting on the edge of a powerful waterfall or watching the Northern Lights are just some examples when I am completely speechless. Even the minutes after I’m still impressed by the beauty of nature. But when you ask me later – I can talk about it for hours, expressing the feelings I had during that moment.
17. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life” – Michael Palin
18. “Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once” – Karen Gibbs
This quote about traveling is so true! You should no doubt take a risk. Life happens for a reason and chances always seem to occur at the moment you don’t expect them. Go for it, take everything you can out of it. Even if it doesn’t turn out the way you wanted it to, at least you’ve learned about life!
19. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow” – Anita Desai
20. “I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations” – Nyssa P. Chopra
21. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” -Oscar Wilde
Adventure Travel Quotes
22. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal” – Paul Coelho
23. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be” – Maya Angelou
The travel quote above from Maya Angelou is so right. I’m one of those people who always thinks about whether I should be more normal. About how people are expecting me to act in all kinds of situations. Since I stepped outside that circle, I figured out things about myself I never knew before.
24. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever”
Fear can be a big thing that’s for sure. And I have my fears as well! I will tell you this about myself: I was always scared to travel, because my English wasn’t very good. And also I don’t feel comfortable in airplanes, boats or even buses. Yet, I traveled over 50 countries and I’m still counting.
If I would have listened to my fears, I would be feeling so miserable in a house I didn’t like, having a job I didn’t like, and I would only be dreaming of seeing all those countries. So, don’t let your fears hold you back of doing the things you want to do most!
25. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey” – Babs Hoffman
26. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open” – Jawaharial Nehru
27. “The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
28. “Adventure without risk is Disneyland” – Doug Coupland
Best Travel Quotes
29. “Live your life by a compass, not a clock” -Stephen Covey
Traveling nowadays is pretty simple. Open Google Maps and let it navigate you to the destination you have in mind. And that’s ok, but just don’t forget to take your eyes off the map and look around to all the beautiful things around you that just happen because you are there.
30. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind” – Anthony Bourdain
31. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world” – Mary Anne Radmacher
32. “He who would travel happily must travel light” – Antoine de St. Exupery
This travel quote by Antione de St.Exupery is so right. When I started traveling to faraway places, I always had way to much stuff with me. Why was I thinking that they don’t have shampoo, shower gel, etc on the other side of the world?
So, try something else: Pack your bag or suitcase or whatever you take with you. Once packed, unpack it all and leave half of it behind. Believe me, you will survive!
33. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles” – Tim Cahill
34. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” – Gustave Flaubert
35. “People don’t take trips, trips take people”
Unique Travel Quotes
36. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
This unique travel quote by Bill Bryson is what makes traveling so great for me. I don’t compare places, moments or adventures. I learn from all of them, but I especially like that feeling when something is new.
37. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them” – Mark Twain
Funny fact: Nanet and I booked our first holiday together when we only knew each other for a little more than a week. That holiday something happened. We both started dreaming about a huge trip around the world!
38. “Most of the time, beauty lies in the simplest of things” – Winna Efendi, The Journeys
39. “We spend our time searching for security and hate it when we get it” – John Steinbeck
40. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough” – Mae West
41. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened” – Seuss
42. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road” – William Least Heat Moon
This travel quote is unique for me because when you meet someone while traveling you know nothing about their background. And if this person turns into your friend, the friendship is pure. The only impression they have from you is formed right at that moment because they don’t know anything about you. People are really good at judging others because of what social media or other people told them.
Wanderlust Travel Quotes
42. “Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien
43. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled” – Mohammed
44. “Jobs fill your pocket, adventures fill your soul” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
45. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
46. “Not All Classrooms Have Four Walls”
I’ve had more than 20 years of education and I am grateful for that. But I can tell you all those books and classes didn’t teach me what I learned while traveling.
47. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a while. Including you.”
This travel quote is so right, a lot of people feel reborn when they get back from vacation! It’s not living in a hotel for a couple of weeks what helps, but space in their head for a relaxing beach walk or reading a book. It’s the freedom to do whatever they want to do and the excitement to explore new places that make you feel reborn.
48. “The less I needed the better I felt” – Charles Bukowski
Best Travel Quotes for Inspiration
49. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before” – Dalai Lama
50. “Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return”
51. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did” ― Mark Twain
52. “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for” – John A. Shedd
53. ”I’ll look back on this and smile because it was life and I decided to live it”
54. “Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to” -Alan Keightley
55. “Don’t call it a dream…call it a plan”
This quote is why I travel like I do. Don’t tell me you’ve always dreamt of traveling to a faraway place. Stop dreaming and start making a plan so you can prepare to go there. I was always dreaming of a trip around the world. When I finally stopped dreaming and started planning, my dream came true.
Funny Travel Quotes
56. “Forget champagne and caviar, taste the world instead!”
57.“Buy the ticket, take the ride”
58. “Running to the gate is my cardio”
59. “That moment when you’re asked where you got something and you answer with the name of the country, not the name of the store”
The travel quote above is what happens to me all the time! I love to purchase little souvenirs in local shops or markets. Instead of going into the well-known big shops, I prefer to buy something with a story.
60. “I wish I was a postcard. For under €1.50 you can travel the world to any location in the world”
61. “Birds literally just eat, travel, and shit on things they don’t like. I don’t know about you, but that’s the lifestyle I’m striving for”
62. “Everyone is pregnant, engaged or getting married. I just wanna lose weight and travel”
When I saw this quote for the first time I started laughing! Why? Because it is 100% me! My number 1 is to travel and my focus is to stay fit. I explored a lot of new dishes and ingredients. Some turned out well, some didn’t!
Travel Quotes Exploring
63. “Life is short and the world is wide, the sooner you start exploring it, the better” – Simon Raven
64. “Paradise doesn’t have to be tropical”
Explore the world with this quote in mind! If you close your eyes and think about paradise I think most people think of a white sandy beach, a crystal clear sea, some palm trees, and a cocktail. But why not a snowy mountain or just a view of emptiness.
65. “I’m not lost, I’m exploring!”
66. “Explore, dream, discover!”
67. “Wanderlust: a strong desire to wander and explore the world”
I explore the world and I’m happy to tell you that wanderlust is what I’m dealing with. Is that a problem? Hell no! It’s the best thing that happened to me! I like to stay in a place for a long time, but I need to explore new things. Otherwise, I start itching to go somewhere else to explore.
68. “Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure”
69. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us”
Travel Quotes Mountains
70. “I like the mountains because they make me feel small,’ Jeff says. ‘They help me sort out what’s important in life”― Mark Obmascik
71. “Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.” – Dag Hammerskjold
72. “Hike more. Worry Less.”
Hiking is the best therapy for me. Whenever I can’t stop thinking about whatever, I feel like taking a hike. No matter if I’m worried about fear, a challenge, or just some business ideas. It seems like during the hike there is some fresh air blowing through my mind that gives me all the answers I was looking for.
73. “The best view comes after the hardest climb”
74. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing” – Barry Finlay
This mountain quote from Barry Finlay is what I always keep in mind. When I want to reach the top, I know I can do it. It doesn’t matter how long it will take me, how many detours I have to take, as long as I’m going upwards every step, then it’s the right path for me.
75. “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books” – John Lubbock
76. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb” -Greg Child
77. “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you” – John Muir
We love to hear from you!
Hopefully this blog post inspired you to travel as much as you can as far as you can in 2020! Do you have a favorite travel quote? Let us know in the comments below!